Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Week 2: Famous Last Words

I believe that my best writing this week was with my storytelling.  I discovered that it is a lot easier to actually write if you are able to connect with the character you are focusing on.  This week I was writing about Thataka.  I was able to concentrate on her because I felt like she was mistreated and punished unfairly.  While I do not have any personal connection with her, the fact that her character actually made me feel for her allowed me to write about her.
In the future, I am hoping to use a wider variety of techniques in my stories.  One of the techniques that I liked was how Ryan used a running inner monologue to display what was going on in his story.  It made the reader see what Rama was experiencing as he did.
Outside of this class, I have been focusing on human rights issues in the majority of my other classes.  While it can be interesting to learn about at times, it is also depressing a majority of the time.  I wish the classes would present ways to help the less fortunate without making it sound like America and other first world nations should feel guilty for taking things for granted.  One of the things that I have noticed is the connection between humanitarian action and the way Rama focuses on helping those around him.
Outside of schoolwork, I have joined the reading group for "The Lies of Locke Lamora."  I haven't really gotten very far in the book yet, but I am looking forward to reading more of it.  I am also excited that Labor Day means we have a shorter class week.  I am already looking forward to the weekend so I can go shopping with some of my friends.  I am also hoping to see "Expendables 3" at some time in the near future.  Other than that, I am just hoping to do well in the coming week!

(Cover of "The Lies of Locke Lamora; Photo source Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment