Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites for Epics of India

The first storybook that caught my eye was Food and Culture.  I thought that the topic was an interesting way to focus on the Indian epics.  It first caught my attention because I didn't really see how the author could get this topic out of the stories that we will be studying.  The introduction does a very good job of explaining how the storybook is laid out and what it is presenting.  The fact that the author is focusing on the cities discussed in the Ramayana rather than stories from within it definitely made me want to keep reading.  The layout of the storybook was also well done.  The pictures and the background color add some detail to the page without overwhelming it.
The second storybook that I thought was interesting was Ravana: Even Devils Have a Past.  The title of this drew my attention and made me want to see how the argument was presented for Ravana.  I think that the introduction was well done.  It certainly made me want to read more of the storybook.  I also liked the color that the author chose for the background.
Finally, I was intrigued by Indian Horror Story.  This caught my eye because I like horror stories and have recently started watching the tv show "American Horror Story." I liked the way the author used the introduction as a way to start the story.  They make their introduction into part of the story rather than just using it to prepare the reader for what is coming. 
All of these storybooks were interesting.  I look forward to starting to work on my own in the coming months!

No comments:

Post a Comment