Saturday, October 18, 2014

Storytelling for Week 9: A game of dice

Today, I was informed that my husbands had decided to play a game of dice, gambling away our belongings. I was shocked and horrified, particularly because my husband Yudhishthira is terrible at the game. Apparently he decided that his honor demanded he play, not allowing him to decline when his cousin challenged him to dice. The tale became even more horrifying when I discovered that it would be Shakuni, my husbands uncle, rather than their cousin Duryodhana, that was actually playing against Yudhishthira. From the gossip around the palace, it sounds as if he has never lost! I know that this should not seem like a major concern, as I should trust my husband to make wise decisions, but I know how he can let his pride overtake him. A servant came to me to let me know exactly what was being lost. That was when I found out that he had gambled everything that we owned. Once he lost that, he put his brothers up as collateral. He lost my other husbands, then placed himself up as a bet. Another servant ran down the hall to let me know I needed to prepare myself for appearing in public. My foolish husband had not stopped after losing even himself in the betting; he put me up as a prize. He didn't have the courtesy to stop, or to consider that he lost all of the other rounds of the game. I couldn't believe that he had allowed this to go so far. He knew that his cousin actively sought to destroy him and his brothers, including everything that they ever held dear. Right after the servant warned me, I began to get ready. Unfortunately for me, however, Duhshasana, Duryodhana's younger brother, storms into my room. He will not allow me to finish or decline going to see the people in court. Rather, he grabs my hair and drags me through the palace by it! If I get the chance, I swear I will take my revenge upon him! Once I am in court, as humiliated as I already am, Duryodhana orders me to strip. I refuse, praying to Krishna for aid. Thankfully he answers my prayer, making my sari infinitely long so that it doesn't come off as the men attempt to rip it from me. Though I am saved from that shameful humiliation, I am still traumatized that this has occurred. How could my husbands allow this to happen? I thought they were supposed to take care of me. Only one of my husbands even declares that they will have their revenge, Bhima claiming this against Duryodhana. Finally the king, Dhritarashtra, steps in and kind of calms things down, slightly. He gives me three wishes, which I use to free my husbands and have their belongings restored to them. I refuse the third wish, thankfully he gives me my freedom. I do not understand how Yudhishthira is willing to forgive them after all that they have done! Why doesn't he seek revenge for the shame that they have brought upon our family?

I chose to write this from Draupadi's perspective, showing how she feels as Yudhishthira is gambling everything away. I don't think she would have understood how her husbands could stand by and watch her be humiliated, or how her husband could bet her in the first place!

(Draupadi dragged from her chamber; Image source Wikimedia)

6 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I really enjoyed the comedic aspect of your story this week. I especially enjoyed how you used so many characters names consistantly throughout it. That really added a funny aspect that would not have been present otherwise. I feel like she would be a little bit more angry than you depicted but I really like the way you described it! You did a really great job this week. One thing you could try to include next week is more dialogue! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was a great spin on the story in this weeks reading. I think you did a great job writing from Draupadi's perspective, and showing us how she feels about having her life gambled with. I don't understand why she didn't use her third wish, but I guess her reasons are her own. If someone tried to rip my clothes off and humiliate me, I don't think I could be so forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth! I really liked the image you chose for your story—I had not seen it when I was searching for images, so I really liked the powerful one you found! You can really see the desperation in the scene! I liked your retelling and taking on Draupadi’s perspective—it’s my favorite method of writing, so I liked reading your version of Draupadi’s inner thoughts. I would maybe recommend more spacing out to make the story easier to read on a screen. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Elizabeth!! You did a great job of simplifying this tale, and retelling it through the perspective of Draupadi. I, personally, LOVE Draupadi, and definitely agree with her perspective (both in the epic and in your story) that not only should Yudhisthira have been smart enough to decline the game of dice, but he also should have recognized what “objects” (including people) were not his to give away. And I love that she is a strong female character who is willing to state her opinion loudly and vehemently—and that she is intelligent enough to back up her claims with facts. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you chose to tell this story from Draupadi's perspective. In some ways, her perspective mirrors that of the reader - as in, we are all thinking how dumb Yudhishthira is being and we just know that his game of dice isn't going to turn out well. But, she also offers her own personal perspective, and your story highlights the frustration, anger, and anxiety she feels as her husband gambles away all he has, including Draupadi herself. I would have liked to have read more about her inner thoughts and her words when she wins it all back with the wishes - this is the part of the story where Draupadi really shines and shows her strength.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Elizabeth! I really like how you chose to tell the story. It is really frustrating that the actual story doesn’t mention much about Draupadi’s perspective on what had happened. I really like this story because it is exactly what I would expect Draupadi to be thinking. This story was also very well written and flows great. I can’t wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete